Crime watch alert from the UTSA Police Department
(Nov. 27, 2012) — The San Antonio Police Department reports that an aggravated robbery occurred off campus at the Avalon Place apartments, 6676 UTSA Blvd., at 11:51 p.m., Monday, Nov. 26.
The suspect is described as a male of unknown race, 6 feet tall and 200 pounds approximate weight. The suspect was wearing a black mask and black gloves, and was armed with a black handgun. The person reporting the incident said the suspect was a passenger in an unknown make or model black car. Just before the aggravated robbery, the same suspect was seen attempting to kick open an apartment door at the Avalon apartments. A witness yelled at the suspect, who fled the scene.
At approximately 12:05 a.m. (15 minutes later), the same suspect was reported to have threatened a resident in the Maverick Creek neighborhood. A resident was standing in his front yard when the suspect approached in the black car and pointed the handgun at the resident. The resident ran inside his home and called police. No additional suspect or vehicle information was available.
If you have additional information about these crimes or if you see someone matching the suspect’s description, contact the San Antonio Police Department at 210-207-7273 or the UTSA Police Department at 210-458-4242.
Safety and security tips for UTSA students, faculty and staff
- Awareness and personal responsibility for your safety and security are the most effective crime-fighting tools. Working together with the UTSA Police Department and other UTSA community members helps reduce and eliminate crime.
- Be aware of your surroundings, be vigilant and stay safe, whether in residential areas or on campus.
- Keep windows and doors in your residence locked at all times, even when you are inside.
- Have a trusted neighbor regularly check on your apartment or home when you are away.
- Do not leave items in plain view. Close curtains or blinds to prevent thieves from looking in.
- Engrave your property with your driver’s license number to help identify stolen property.
- Invite only trusted friends into your residence and not strangers.
- If you are not sure who is at the door, do not open the door.
- In an emergency situation, call the UTSA Police Department at 210-458-4911 or from a campus office phone, call 4911. For a non-emergency, call 210-458-4242.
- UTSA Campus Alerts website: http://alerts.utsa.edu/
The above information was provided by SAPD, and UTSA is sharing this information to help its students stay better informed regarding possible safety/security issues. UTSA makes no representations regarding the accuracy of this information. This information is not required to be provided by the Clery act or any other federal or state laws. Students wishing more information about this incident should contact SAPD.