Tips to Protect Yourself and Others Against the Flu
This is the season for cold and flu. Since the weather is keeping us indoors, we are susceptible to being exposed to cold and flu germs from others.
Here are tips to prevent the spread of cold and flu:
• Get the flu shot.
• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw away the tissue in the trash after you use it.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water.
• Use an alcohol-based hand rub.
• Avoid close contact with sick people.
• If you’re sick with flu-like symptoms, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone. The fever should be gone without the use of fever-reducing medications.
• While sick, stay away from others.
• Avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Take flu antiviral drugs if your doctor prescribes them.
These guidelines are from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
For more information, call the Student Health Services Main campus clinic at (210) 458-4142 or the DT campus clinic at (210)458-2930.